Sunday, August 4, 2019

My Love Affair with Comic Books – Part 3

Part 1 is here.

Part 2 is here.

I realized while looking over Part 2 that I forgot to mention some key books that helped shape my early comic book reading days. So before diving into Star Wars I’d like to explore those books–starting with my introduction to Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, which came in the form of a Spanish version of Adventure Comics #345. This was bought on that same family vacation to Mexico where I picked up the Batman and World’s Finest issues mentioned in Part 2. It was the conclusion of a two-part tale featuring the Legionnaires trapped in a Super-Stalag, drawn by legendary artist Curt Swan.


I can only imagine what the Spanish translation for Matter Eater Lad was. I wish I could remember!

Forty-plus years later I finally got to read this story in full (and in English) when issues 344 and 345 were re-printed in the recently published Silver Age Legion of Super-Heroes Omnibus Volume 2.


Incidentally, here’s the cover to World’s Finest #228. The cover to the Spanish version was a cropped version of the original, showcasing only Nick Cardy’s artwork for the main Super Sons story. It made for quite the dramatic cover. I can easily see why it caught my eye as a kid. 


As I’ve mentioned before, my exposure to Spider-Man came mainly in the form of the classic animated show from the 60’s. The only comic books of his I had were Amazing Spider-Man #174, which I covered in Part 1—and Marvel Team-Up #66, which featured a very cool team-up between Spidey and Captain Britain. I believe this may have been the first appearance of Arcade.

This was a great issue, done by a top-knotch creative team. It was one of those books that I re-read often in my youth in the days before I actually starting collecting comics.













Not surprisingly, my appetite for comics was not limited to super-heroes. Archie digests were a common super-market checkout purchase. In fact to this day it makes me smile when I see Archie digests on display at the checkout counter when I do groceries. I’m glad to see they’re still around.

I also had some Archie comic books, but the memory of those is lost to time except for this issue of Archie at Riverdale High I was able to track down via the internet. I remembered that cover as soon as I saw it.


Along with the DC treasuries that showcased DC’s stable of super-heroes I also had a copy of one of the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer treasuries written and drawn by Sheldon Mayer. Great fun. Rudolph was certainly a lot more mischievous in these stories than he was in the classic Christmas stop motion TV special!






I was introduced to Carl Barks’ beautifully told and illustrated Uncle Scrooge tales via a Spanish paperback bought during a family trip to Spain.

I encourage anyone unfamiliar with Carl Barks’ work to check it out. His Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics are considered to be among the greatest artistic and storytelling achievements in the medium.

Here’s an excerpt from one of the stories reprinted in that Spanish paperback. The image of a lipstick-wearing Mermaid Queen was one that stuck with me all these years, making it fairly easy for me to track this story down.













In terms of humor books, Mad and Cracked were occasional purchases. My brother and I had a treasure trove of Mad paperbacks, which is where I first encountered the genius of Don Martin and Sergio Aragones. These books are still in my collection.








Next time… Star Wars! ‘Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment