Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Glen Keane

"Believe in your character. Animate (or write) with sincerity."

The above quote is from the great character animator Glen Keane, who worked 37 years at Walt Disney Animation Studios. His credits include The Fox and the Hound, The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers Down Under, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Tarzan, the under-rated Treasure Planet, and Tangled.

In his resignation letter to Disney several days ago he wrote: "I am convinced that animation really is the ultimate form of our time with endless new territories to explore. I can't resist its siren call to step out and discover them."

I wish him all the best, and look forward to seeing what he does next.

He's been a major source of inspiration, so I thought I'd share some of his work. Enjoy!

These are Glen's drawings from that awesome climactic bear showdown in The Fox and the Hound:


Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective:


The Little Mermaid:


Pocahontas:



Tarzan:












Tangled:








3 comments:

  1. Even when I was young there was always something extra magical about that scene in The Little Mermaid. That particular drawing really is very beautiful and everything about that scene was just entraping for me as a viewer.

    Thank you for posting some of Keane's drawings. If you find any from Treasure Planet I would love to see those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joline--Ariel really comes to life in that scene. It's amazing how much of her personality shines through in that one single drawing.

      I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find any of Glen's drawings from Treasure Planet--I'd loved to see those too! :)

      Delete
  2. The Tangled drawings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete