Saturday, December 22, 2012

Batman Family

I've been a Batman fan for as long as I can remember--pretty much loved the character and his extended family all my life.

To say that I was thrilled when I came across a copy Batman Family #1 on a spinner rack at the airport while on a family vacation to Mexico would be quite the understatement. Here were all my favorite Bat-related characters starring in one comic book. How badass is that? I was eight years old at the time. 



I've expressed my appreciation of Michael Golden's artwork in earlier blog posts. My first taste of his art was in the Man-Bat back-up story "Target: The Shotgun Sniper!" in Batman Family #15. A few months later I was blown away by his take on Batman in a tale titled "The Tomb of the White Bat!" in issue #19. That issue also featured a gorgeous cover drawn by Mike Kaluta. 



Batman Family #19 was one of those books I treasured as a youngster. My original copy was read and re-read so many times (along with Detective Comics #471 and Justice League of America #145) that the books literally fell apart over time and I had to buy replacement copies when I got older. 

  
I thought I'd share a bit of bat-nostalgia. Here's "The Tomb of the White Bat!" in its entirety. The story was written by the great Denny O'Neil. Enjoy! 





















No comments:

Post a Comment